Camp Wanna Iguana is excited to announce that this summer there will be weekly trips to Durham’s NEW public pool as an additional field trip option!
After looking into ways to bring more water-play into our already amazing program, we came up with this idea and are now able to offer our NEW Be Cool at the Pool due to a generous sponsorship from ConvenientMD Urgent Care. The Be Cool at the Pool field trip option is offered to all our campers at either a VERY Reduced Fee, or at NO COST at all if campers already possess a Durham pool pass for the summer.
How are we able to do this so inexpensively? Basically ConvenientMD Urgent Care – came to our “First – Aid” and offered to sponsor the total price for the bus transportation to shuttle the campers back and forth from Camp to the Pool for all 5 weeks we will be offering this pool outing option.
Why are we just now announcing this? Well, we just go the sponsorship approved this week. So we say better late than never!
Below are all the details on the program and how to get your child on board for the 5 consecutive weeks we will be offering our Be Cool at the Pool program.
DAYS & TIMES
- Pool Days will be offered 1x per week per Rec Group for 2 hours of Pool Time on the following weeks. The week starting July 10th until the week starting Aug 7th. Basically the 5 weeks in the middle of camp.
- For Rec 1 & 2 trips will be offered on Wednesdays afternoon leaving the Rec at 11:45 and arriving back to camp at 3:30pm (Based on how many kids will be going each week we may need to stagger departure times for each Rec group. Also these days are their off days from their typical Field Trip Days.
- For Rec 3 & 4 trips will be offered on Tuesdays afternoon leaving the Rec at 11:45 and arriving back to camp at 3:30pm (Based on how many kids will be going each week we may need to stagger departure times for each Rec group. Also these days are their off days from their typical Field Trip Days.
- Campers who choose not to participate in the Be Cool by the Pool that day or for the duration of the program will remain back at Camp those afternoons and participate in other fun activities in the afternoon.
FEES or FREE – DEPENDING
- If you would like your camper to have the option to Be Cool by the Pool at the Durham outdoor public pool, the only cost would be for the fee for your child to get into the pool for the day. We have negotiate a discounted rate for each camper to pay only $25 that will include all 5 days that the Be Cool by the Pool days weeks are offered.
- However, if a camper already is a member of the outdoor Durham pool and has their own membership card, they are able to participate for FREE, but they must be responsible for bringing their own membership card that day.
- Please note we will not be able to the logistics of offering this program we will not be able to break it down so parents can pay on week to week basis. It’s all or nothing type deal at ½ the price. However, again your child can choose not to go if they do not want to go on that day, provided the parent agrees when registering their child that their child may choose on their own to opt out for that day.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Parents can register their child into the Be Cool by the Pool program just like you do for Field Trips. Log onto our website and register your child online.
- If your child already has a pool pass for the summer that they plan to bring with them on that day, parents must register their child to go on this field trip. Parents may call, stop by the Rec. or email us to let us know that they want their child to have the option to go on their pool days.
- Durham Pool has agreed to try and accommodate us as best they can to allow us to make up a pool day if we are rained out. However, please understand this is not a guarantee as they have private parties booked on other days.
WHAT TO BRING THAT DAY & LUNCHES
- Campers should dress appropriately for an afternoon day at the pool. Towels, sunscreen, extra clothes, come to camp wearing your camp T-shirt. And your pool past if they have one.
- On days that your child is scheduled to participate in the Be Cool at the Pool – we ask that you pack them a lunch rather than have them purchase at the camp store. This will make it much easier and less time consuming when we are departing for the pool that day.
SWIM & WATER PLAY SAFETY
- Durham Pool Staff take their responsibilities regarding child safety and require all child to pass a swim test before they are allowed access to certain part of the pool.
- Our staff will also be in the water with them at all times monitoring there play. With our staff and the life guards on duty our campers will be double safe!
- Again, campers are required to wear their field trip camp T-shirt in the water so that our staff will be better able to identify all campers in the water at all times.