It’s a Jungle Out There Paddle Palooza Parade
- Open to all, short paddle around the Schanda cove in then off for a parade in front of the mills – those participating in the parade are encouraged to dress yourself and decorate your non-motorized watercraft (no sails) for this year’s “Its a Jungle Out There.” Paddle boats may have as many people in the craft the meets the water craft safety standards. Example include: Canoe, Kayak, Paddle Board, etc…
- Lastly, please have fun with this theme. We are looking to make this part of the event a huge draw for spectators from all over for years to come! As this is the first year – we hope all will participate in one way or another in this part of the Splash & Dash event in addition to the races – its not a theme costume parade without participants in costume! Prizes for Best in Show!
- DJ – (provided they have it) will even play song based on your theme choice while you are in front of the judges – just let us know at check in.
Criteria: Originality, Creativity, Attention to detail, & Appropriateness of understanding the theme, per hap the ability to do an Animal call or Lip Sync may come in handy!
NOTE: We also invite all who own paddle crafts to be spectators from the water as well. Regardless of how you participate, let us all have a fun day enjoying our very own Lamprey River!
- 3K race to the mouth of Great Bay and back
- Men’s solo Kayak, age 16-60
- Women’s solo Kayak, age 16-60
- Senior’s solo Kayak, age 60+
- Two paddlers – both in one canoe or tandem kayak (if one paddler is under 16 years than the other paddler must be over 18+)
- ½ K race to the Middle Rock and back
- Junior solo kayak, age 10 – 15 years
- Two Paddlers – child (age 15 & under) with adult (18+), in one canoe or tandem kayak, or, a parent & child combo may use two kayaks –must stay side-by-side. Note the child’s time across finish\line will be the one counted.)
- Note: if you would like to participate in either race but do not fall into any of the prize categories, you may still do so, but you will be asked to launch last, as we need to have the race categories get underway first.
- Its a Jungle Out There Paddle Palooza Parade– $ Prize to Winning entry, plus winner’s name(s) will be painted on a paddle hung at the Newmarket Recreation Center.
- Solo race winners: 1st and 2nd fastest times will receive medals, cash prize for 1st only
- Tandem or Team race winners: 1st place finishers will receive medals and cash prize to split.
- The Power Paddle: A Mini Paddle will be awarded for spirit or sportsmanship
- * Cash Prize amounts are based on final recruitment of sponsors/donations.
Early Bird Registration now until 7/31, after that prices go up online and Same Day Registration
- Register online look for the BIG Green Box that says Register on our home page. Or www.newmarketrec.org
- When registering – type in Kayak under program search!
- Easiest way to register is calling 659-8581
- Don’t want to bother with online registration just call the office at 659-8581 with credit card information M-F office hours 8:30am – 4:30pm (your registration paperwork will be emailed to you)
- OR just stop into the Rec Department, @ 1 Terrace Drive, Newmarket NH 03857 and register in person.
Early Bird (by July 31st) Entry Fees
- Kayak / Canoe Races: $20 / boat (Note: includes entry into paddle parade – optional participation)
- Its a Jungle Out There Paddle Parade Only: $15 / entry (Note: does not include race entry)
- Splash & Dash T-shirt: $12, available up to July 31st for advance registration.
August 1st on OR Same Day Registration (10:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.)
- Kayak / Canoe Races: $30 / boat (Note: includes entry into paddle parade – optional parade participation)
- Its a Jungle Out There Paddle Parade Only: $25 / non motorized water craft entry
- Splash & Dash T-shirt: $15 / (based on availability)
Registration includes the following: race entry, number bib, access to fill water bottle, & 1 raffle ticket (a (for various paddle sports items and gift certificates) just for participating and having fun!
Note to all participants:
- All participants in all events must bring and wear age/size appropriate Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs or life jackets).
- Even if pre-registered, please arrive at Schanda Park between 10:30 A.M. and 11:45 A.M. on event day to check-in and pick up your registration packet at the registration table. Your boat will be put in the line-up as soon as you show us your event racing bib is on.
- Note there is no parking down at the park. You will be allowed to drop off your small sized craft (must be able to take off vehicle with-out the use car trailer and boat launch) and park off-site. Newmarket Recreation will provide shuttle service between Schanda Park and the off-site parking lot. (Newmarket High School)
- If registering on same day – All participants 18+ (show ID) will be required to sign a waiver at check-in. All participants under the age of 18 will need to have a parent/guardian sign a waiver at check-in.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – (Subject to change based on tides)
10:30 A.M. – 11:45 A.M.: Same-day and Advance Registration check-in
11:45 A.M. – 12:00 noon River Parade briefing
12:00 P.M. – 1:00 P.M. THEME – Its a Jungle out There – Paddle Palooza Parade (DJ music selection of choice)
11:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M: DJ’s or Band will be playing, Food Trucks, Sponsorship booths, and lots of Jungle Decorations and Fun in the Sun!
1:00 P.M – 1:15 P.M Race briefing
1:15 P.M – TBA: Stagger start by category until all race participants have entered water
2:30pm – 3:00pm: Splash & Dash & Cash award ceremonies and Raffles Drawn!
RACE STAGGER START:
All 3K race categories run in a staggered start in 4 different start heats – in this order:
- Men’s / Women’s solo: (age 16 – 59)
- Senior’s solo 3K: (age 60+)
- Two paddlers, (one must be 18+), both in one canoe or tandem kayak
All 1/2K race categories run in a staggered start in 2 different start heats first out in this order:
- Junior solo kayak 1.5 K: (ages 10-15 years)
- Junior Two Paddlers: (both aged 10-15 years)
- Child (15 under) w/ adult (18+): canoe or tandem, or 2 kayaks side by side in water – Child’s time across finish line if 2 kayaks will be used
NOTE – CHANGE: The It’s a Jungle out There Paddle Palooza Parade will still take place at noon, before the main races, but participants will now start in the Schanda Park Man Made grass entry and move in a circle around the cove inlet and then down and around the wier. Judging will take place with your song playing in the cove inlet. You will have your moment to shine and impress the judges!
- Participants in the 3K will enter the water at the boat launch (on right) and head to Great Bay on the right side of the river and turn around at a buoy in Great Bay to head back to the park on the other side of the river.
- Participants in the ½ K will enter at the boat launch (on right) and paddle on the right side of the river toward Great Bay, turn at the Middle Rock, and return on the other side of the river.
- The Start and Finish line will be marked in the Lamprey River.
DON’T HAVE A KAYAK OR GEAR?
If you would like to participate in the either race and/or the parade, but do not have your own paddling gear (PFD, paddle, kayak or canoe) we might be able to help. Newmarket Recreation will have 20 kayaks to rent for the day, first come first reserve. Reserve your kayaks today by calling 659-8581! Seven Rivers Paddling Company also will be renting out kayaks for the day. Call today at 603 969 5120. If you are interested in reserving a kayak, please do this BEFORE you register to ensure that there are still kayaks available.
Newmarket 2017 Summer Campers participating in race will receive a discount on kayak rental.
EVENT ORGANIZERS & COLLABORATORS
Main Organizer: Newmarket Recreation Department, www.newmarketrec.org (click for more information)
Beneficiary: Newmarket Recreation and the Child Smile Fund.
Race and parade funds not used for direct event costs will be used to subsidize Newmarket Recreation ongoing programming, FREE community events not funded by town, and scholarships for children who need financial assistance in our programming.
Lamprey River Wild & Scenic Committee
Confirmed – In-kind and/or Sponsorships / Collaborators (but not additional staffing)
- 7 Rivers Paddling: Handling Race logistics on the River
- Town of Newmarket Recreation, Fire & Rescue, Public Works Dept (but not additional staffing)
- Newmarket Conservation Commission for use of Schanda Park
- Newmarket’s Splash & Dash Committee (volunteers)
- Newmarket Business Assn – signature sponsor
- 2017 Sponsors – listed when signed on to event
Are you interested in sponsoring this event? Contact us for more details regarding sponsorship opportunities at 659-8581 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SPONSORSHIP TIERS & CATEGORIES
- Parade Sponsors: (looking for a total of $1000) this can be done in $250, $500, $1000+ Donations
- Race sponsors: (looking for a total of $1000) this can be done in $250, $500, or $1000+ Donations
- Both Events Need Volunteers
- Various raffle prizes or Paddle Sport Donated Merchandise are also needed for other prizes.
Sponsor Tiers for $500+
- banner of logo hung at event
- logo on marketing materials – printed after sponsorship agreement
- vendor table or booth at event
- public announcement at event
- listed under Gold Ambassador Sponsorship page in the Newmarket Recreation 2017 Annual Brochure
Sponsor Tiers for $250 – $499
- logo on marketing materials printed printed after sponsorship agreement
- public announcement at event
- listed under Silver Ambassador Sponsorship page in the Newmarket Recreation 2017 Annual Brochure
Sponsor Tier for $100 – $249
- business name listed on all marketing materials printed after July 29th
- public announcement at event
- listed under Bronze Ambassador Sponsorship page in the Newmarket Recreation 2017 Annual Brochure
Sponsor Tier for $25+ – $99 (usually in the form of Gift Cards/Certificates)
- written and public announcement at event
- listed under the Friend Ambassador Sponsorship page in the Newmarket Recreation 2017 Annual Brochure
“The Ten Kayak & Canoe-ments”
Rules For our Spectators